Thursday, October 6, 2011

Inspiration and an Old Picture Full of Awesome: Robert Goddard and His Rocket

Inspiration and an Old Picture Full of Awesome: Robert Goddard and His Rocket:



Dr. Robert H. Goddard (second from right) and his colleagues hold a liquid-propellant rocket in 1932 at their New Mexico workshop. Credit: NASA Goddard Space Flight Center



It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

Dr. Robert Hutchings Goddard


It’s funny sometimes, the things that inspire you. I remember in second grade, our class read a story about Robert Goddard and I was totally captivated by this man who had a practically single-minded vision to build rockets and visit other worlds. That story was my first exposure – that I recall – to rockets and space travel and other planets, and I have to say, Robert Goddard is one of the reasons I’m a space and astronomy journalist today. I remembered that 2nd grade fascination and inspiration when I saw the above picture of Goddard and his co-horts with one of their rockets. Today is Robert Goddard’s birthday – he was born on October 5, 1882 — and in my recollections, I also remembered what inspired Robert Goddard: daydreaming while sitting in the branches of a tree.

(...)
Read the rest of Inspiration and an Old Picture Full of Awesome: Robert Goddard and His Rocket (570 words)




© nancy for Universe Today, 2011. |
Permalink |
3 comments |
Add to
del.icio.us


Post tags: ,


Feed enhanced by Better Feed from Ozh




No comments:

Post a Comment